Places of Interest Nearby:
- Just down the road, on Hwy 50, to your first left to the town of Maysville and drive up the dirt road (1 mile) until you can’t any more, and to your left there is a magnificent waterfall. Watch for packs of deer on the way.
- Up the road on US-50 past the Lodge, turn right on Old Monarch Pass Road and drive until you reach a sign, “Old Monarch Pass Continental Divide” (Elevation 11,375 feet) to your left. A short, but steep hike up the mountain will take you to the top where one can be on top of the world and experience spectacular views of the surrounding peaks.
- Alternatively, you may take the gondola at the top of Monarch Pass for a scenic ride at over 12,000 feet up the mountain peaks.
- Monarch Ski area is roughly 4 miles up the road on US-50 and boast being one of only two major ski areas in the country that does not produce man-made snow. Monarch is a skier and boarder’s dream mountain without all the commercialization of the big resorts. See www.skimonarch.com for more information and for a detailed map of the ski resort (along with their operating hours) please click here (in PDF format).
- The near-by town of Salida, 20 minutes away down US- 50, gives visitors many shops and restaurants to choose from. One of our favorite restaurants is called “The Patio Pancake Place” where dining is at a very reasonable price. On West Rainbow Blvd. you can relax in the large indoor mineral Hot Springs Aquatic Center pool.
Other Places of Interest:
- Within 30 minutes of the cabin, you can experience white water rafting, horseback riding, mountain biking, kayaking, fishing, hiking and snowmobiling.
- Just an hour and a half from the sky-scrapping Royal Gorge Bridge in City, where visitors can take a train through the bottom of the canyon.
- South on Highway 50 about an hour drive is Colorado’s majestic Great Sand Dunes National Park. This is a fun, breathtaking place to visit for everyone in the family.
- The cities and ski areas of Aspen and Breckenridge are less than 2 hours away.
- Just two and a half hours from Colorado Springs airport and its sightseeing such as The Cheyenne Zoo, Garden of the Gods, Caves of the Winds, and Santa’s Workshop.